Recent Fire Damage Posts
10 Effective Ways to Prevent Fire Damage to Your Home
Fire Damage from an oven - SERVPRO INGLEWOOD
Here at SERVPRO of Inglewood, we know how devastating fire damage to your home can be, not only causing financial losses but also posing significant risks to your family's safety. Preventing fires is crucial, and there are numerous steps you can take to safeguard your home from potential fire hazards. In this blog post, we will explore ten effective ways to prevent fire damage to your home.
- Install Smoke Alarms
Smoke alarms are your first line of defense against fires. Make sure you have them installed in key areas of your home, such as the kitchen, bedrooms, and hallways. Regularly test and replace the batteries to ensure they are functioning properly.
- Create a Fire Escape Plan
Prepare a fire escape plan with your family. Ensure everyone knows the quickest and safest way out of the house in case of a fire. Practice this plan regularly so that everyone can escape quickly and safely.
- Maintain Electrical Wiring
Faulty electrical wiring is a common cause of house fires. Have a professional electrician inspect your home's wiring and address any issues. Avoid overloading electrical outlets and replace damaged cords and outlets promptly.
- Be Cautious in the Kitchen
The kitchen is a high-risk area for fires. Always stay attentive when cooking, and never leave the stove or oven unattended. Keep flammable materials like dish towels and curtains away from open flames. Install a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and learn how to use it.
- Store Flammable Materials Safely
Properly store flammable materials such as gasoline, paint, and propane tanks in well-ventilated areas away from your home. Keep them in a locked storage area or shed to reduce the risk of fire spreading.
- Clean Your Chimney
If you have a fireplace, stove, or wood-burning appliance, make sure to clean and inspect the chimney regularly. Creosote buildup in the chimney can ignite and lead to a dangerous fire.
- Maintain Your Appliances
Regularly service and clean your home appliances, such as your dryer, furnace, and air conditioner. Lint buildup in dryers and faulty HVAC systems can pose a fire hazard.
- Use Fire-Resistant Building Materials
If building or renovating your home, consider using fire-resistant materials, such as fire-rated doors, windows, and roofing materials. These can slow the spread of fire and help protect your home.
- Landscape Safely
Maintain your outdoor space by keeping the grass short, trimming tree branches near your home, and removing dead vegetation. This reduces the risk of a fire spreading to your house.
- Stay Informed
Stay informed about local fire risks and regulations. Pay attention to any fire warnings or bans in your area and follow them diligently.
Preventing fire damage to your home is a matter of being proactive and diligent. By taking these ten steps, you can significantly reduce the risk of a devastating fire. Protecting your family and your property should be a top priority, and fire prevention is a key aspect of achieving that safety. Remember, it's much easier to prevent a fire than to recover from the damage it can cause.
If you do happen to experience fire damage though, be sure to reach out to experts to help take you through the process of getting your home or commercial building repaired. Contact the friendly staff from SERVPRO Inglewood for more information.
Safe and Sound: Preventing Thanksgiving Fires in Your Home
Wishes for a Very Happy and Safe Thanksgiving from our SERVPRO of Inglewood Team!
Safe and Sound: Preventing Thanksgiving Fires in Your Home
Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude, family, and feasting. But did you know that it's also the #1 holiday for house fires? Cooking is the leading cause of fires in homes, and the Thanksgiving holiday is no exception. To ensure your holiday remains a time of celebration and not a disaster, here are five safety tips to keep in mind:
1. Check Your Smoke Alarms: Prior to the holiday festivities, take a moment to test your smoke alarms by pressing the "test" button. Make sure they are in good working condition to provide you with early warnings in case of an emergency.
2. Don't Leave the Kitchen Unattended: Never leave your home while the turkey is roasting or any cooking is in progress. Always ensure that all stovetop burners and ovens are turned off before you leave the house. If you're hosting, assign someone to keep an eye on the cooking while you step away.
3. Keep a Clean Cooking Area: A clutter-free cooking space helps prevent accidents. Keep your kitchen tidy to avoid unintentional mishaps and spills.
4. Child Safety: Keep children at least three feet away from the stove at all times. This simple measure can help prevent burns and accidents.
5. Candles and Open Flames: Never leave candles burning unattended. Candles are responsible for over 15,000 house fires annually. Ensure they are placed away from flammable materials and extinguish them when not in use.
The leading causes of home fires on Thanksgiving typically involve unattended cooking equipment, accidental equipment left on, or flammable cooking materials (like oven mitts) placed too close to heat sources. If you plan to use a turkey fryer, exercise caution and adhere to safety guidelines.
As you gather with loved ones to celebrate Thanksgiving, keep these safety tips in mind to protect your home and family. And remember, if any problems arise, you can count on SERVPRO of Inglewood to help. Call us at (424) 223-4153 for assistance, and enjoy a safe and happy Thanksgiving season.
Microwave Ovens and Fire Risk
Even a small microwave oven fire can lead to extensive damage.
If your home has a burst or even slightly broken pipe, it can leak high volumes of water into areas of your home that are hard to see and even harder to restore.
Burst pipes in Inglewood are a common cause of damage and call-outs. No matter how minor the damage, areas often require specialized equipment and trained professionals to restore.
As a homeowner, any water damage must be treated promptly to avoid additional damage. Water damage left untreated behind walls, underneath floors, or within your home's voids can result in mold taking hold, which can prolong the impact on your life beyond the initial hours and days after the damage has been caused.
SERVPRO of Inglewood is available 24/7 for emergency call-outs, and we can liaise with your insurance company to ensure any damage is noted, addressed, and restored promptly and efficiently. Call SERVPRO of Inglewood at (424) 223-4153
Fire Risks and Microwave Ovens
Even a small microwave oven fire can lead to extensive damage.
Microwave Ovens are a standard kitchen aid that has undoubted benefits when it comes to convenience. However, they also come with risks that homeowners need to be aware of.
The first thing to note is never to use a microwave oven outside the manufacturer's installation and operating instructions and always follow the recommended safety precautions. Doing so can minimize the risks associated with fires occurring due to your microwave usage.
Other precautions to note are never place any metal bowls into your microwave or any item of clothing. Also, avoid using materials not expressly indicated as being microwave safe.
SERVPRO of Inglewood has been called out on jobs involving fires generated by Microwave ovens, and the damage from even a small fire can lead to tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage to your kitchen.
If a fire does occur, call 911 immediately and ensure you and your family are safely out of the house.
Getting an expert as soon as possible in the aftermath is essential to document the damage. You can contact SERVPRO of Inglewood at (424) 223-4153 24/7, and we can work with your insurance company to action your claim ASAP.
Summer Fire Risks
A fire can quickly damage a home.
Fire and smoke damage can occur at any time of year. However, there are some things to look out for during Summer specifically.
During summer, you are much more likely to be using BBQs, grills, fire pits, and fireworks during the summer months.
Drier conditions during summer can result in a fire spreading much more quickly, feeding off of any object, room, or space nearby.
And even if the fire doesn't necessarily spread into a room, it can cause unseen damage such as smoke and soot.
With fires, there can also be extensive water damage to a home; The Ingelwood fire department may use powerful water sources to extinguish fires that can damage the structure of your home.
SERVPRO of Inglewood focuses on both fire and water damage restoration. It's what we do; SERVPRO has been helping customers like you for 60 + years.
We have the specialized equipment, training, and certifications that allow us to restore your home and make it "Like it never even happened." Choose SERVPRO of Inglewood, a local company that specializes in fire damage restoration who are also available 24/7 and can be contacted at (424) 223-4153
Summer Fire Dangers
We are Here to Help® and ready to respond to all fire damage conditions!
- Fire and smoke damage are fast actors that can be incredibly destructive. They grow quickly, feeding off of any object, rooms, or spaces nearby. They can even engulf rooms without necessarily touching them, sometimes leaving their mark in smoke and soot damage. They are especially common when BBQs, grills, fire pits, and fireworks are present-- typically during the summer months. In some cases, the Inglewood area could find water damage from firefighting efforts. The fire department may use powerful water sources to extinguish fires that can damage the structure of your home. SERVPRO of Inglewood focuses on both fire and water damage restoration. In fact, it’s what we do; SERVPRO has been helping customers like you for 60 + years. We have the specialized equipment, specific training, and certifications that allow us to restore your home and make it “Like it never even happened." Choose SERVPRO of Inglewood, a local company that specializes in fire damage restoration.
Fire Damage and Your Home: How SERVPRO Inglewood Can Help
SERVPRO of Inglewood knows how devastating fires can be: they can leave your house unsafe and unlivable. Call us today for help in fire restoration.
Fire damage affects the structure or your house and belongings. Here at SERVPRO, we understand that your family’s keepsakes, furniture, and belongings all contribute to what transforms a house to a home. Fire damage, including smoke and even soot, can quickly threaten your family’s belongings. That’s why we specialize in restoring contents damaged by fire, water, and mold. Our SERVPRO professionals have the necessary expertise to help you preserve the irreplaceable keepsakes, and save money by salvaging what items can be restored to their pre-fire states.
We use any of the following methods for cleaning your home: dry or wet cleaning, foam cleaning, abrasive cleaning, and immersion cleaning. What’s more, if your home requires more intensive restoration and cleaning, our SERVPRO professionals can additionally help plan and conduct an efficiently organized move-out, and later move-in of the home. This can allow for additional protection from damage and a quicker remodel of the home. Our services are subjective to what your insurance coverage is.
Additionally, SERVPRO can restore your electronics damaged in a fire, as they pose serious hazards from acid containing smoke residues and corrosion. Electronics should be inspected and cleaned only by a qualified technician. Please Do Not attempt to operate any electrical device subject to fire damage.
Lastly, SERVPRO is here to help with our Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS) to ease your confusion and overwhelming worries during the recovery process. The CCIS will help in detailing an accurate list of all your belongings, room by room, with photo documentation where possible.
Call SERVPRO of Inglewood to help you restore your home today!
Everything You Should Know About Thanksgiving Fire Safety
Wishes for a Very Happy and Safe Thanksgiving from our SERVPRO team!
Did you know that Thanksgiving is the #1 holiday for house fires? What’s more, cooking is the #1 most common cause of starting a fire in the home. Here are 5 safety tips to keep in mind for preventing fires in your home this Thanksgiving:
1. Ensure your smoke alarms work. You can check them by pressing the “test” button.
2. Never leave home while your turkey is cooking! Always make sure that all stove top burners and ovens are off before leaving your home to visit friends and family. If you’re hosting, make sure someone is always watching the stove top burners while cooking.
3. Maintain a clean cooking space to prevent any unintentional mishaps.
4. Keep children at least 3 feet away from the stove at all times
5. Never leave any candles burning while unattended. Candles are responsible for over 15,000 house fires every year.
The top causes of home fires during Thanksgiving typically include unattended cooking equipment, accidentally leaving equipment on, or keeping flammable cooking materials (such as oven mitts) too close to a heat source. Also, remember to always be cautious while using a turkey fryer this Turkey Day.
Stay safe during this Thanksgiving season and remember, call SERVPRO of Inglewood if any problems arise! (424) 223-4153