Archived Blog Posts
Mold Remediation In Your Inglewood Home
Mold Remediation In Your Inglewood Home. No matter how bad the damage, get an expert from SERVPRO Inglewood in to help keep your home mold free.
Mold is a danger to you and your family, and if you suspect you have mold in your home, you must address the problem as soon as possible.
If you've noticed a musty, pungent smell, seen noticeable rings on your drywall, or noticed a growth of any color on your walls, you have a mold problem in your home.
SERVPRO of Inglewood receives calls to inspect homes and businesses across the Inglewood area for mold damage.
We start by undertaking a thorough mold inspection to assess the extent of the problem in your home or business. This also includes seeking out any source of water or moisture in your home that may have led to your mold problem in the first place. Without addressing the underlying moisture problem, any attempt to remediate mold damage is likely to be a short-term solution that will invariably lead to mold returning.
When it comes to mold remediation, it is best to go with a trusted company with the expertise required to ensure long-term solutions are undertaken, rather than relying on a short-term fix. SERVPRO of Inglewood is available at (424) 223-4153.
Fire Risks and Microwave Ovens
Even a small microwave oven fire can lead to extensive damage.
Microwave Ovens are a standard kitchen aid that has undoubted benefits when it comes to convenience. However, they also come with risks that homeowners need to be aware of.
The first thing to note is never to use a microwave oven outside the manufacturer's installation and operating instructions and always follow the recommended safety precautions. Doing so can minimize the risks associated with fires occurring due to your microwave usage.
Other precautions to note are never place any metal bowls into your microwave or any item of clothing. Also, avoid using materials not expressly indicated as being microwave safe.
SERVPRO of Inglewood has been called out on jobs involving fires generated by Microwave ovens, and the damage from even a small fire can lead to tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage to your kitchen.
If a fire does occur, call 911 immediately and ensure you and your family are safely out of the house.
Getting an expert as soon as possible in the aftermath is essential to document the damage. You can contact SERVPRO of Inglewood at (424) 223-4153 24/7, and we can work with your insurance company to action your claim ASAP.
Summer Fire Risks
A fire can quickly damage a home.
Fire and smoke damage can occur at any time of year. However, there are some things to look out for during Summer specifically.
During summer, you are much more likely to be using BBQs, grills, fire pits, and fireworks during the summer months.
Drier conditions during summer can result in a fire spreading much more quickly, feeding off of any object, room, or space nearby.
And even if the fire doesn't necessarily spread into a room, it can cause unseen damage such as smoke and soot.
With fires, there can also be extensive water damage to a home; The Ingelwood fire department may use powerful water sources to extinguish fires that can damage the structure of your home.
SERVPRO of Inglewood focuses on both fire and water damage restoration. It's what we do; SERVPRO has been helping customers like you for 60 + years.
We have the specialized equipment, training, and certifications that allow us to restore your home and make it "Like it never even happened." Choose SERVPRO of Inglewood, a local company that specializes in fire damage restoration who are also available 24/7 and can be contacted at (424) 223-4153
Summer Fire Dangers
We are Here to Help® and ready to respond to all fire damage conditions!
- Fire and smoke damage are fast actors that can be incredibly destructive. They grow quickly, feeding off of any object, rooms, or spaces nearby. They can even engulf rooms without necessarily touching them, sometimes leaving their mark in smoke and soot damage. They are especially common when BBQs, grills, fire pits, and fireworks are present-- typically during the summer months. In some cases, the Inglewood area could find water damage from firefighting efforts. The fire department may use powerful water sources to extinguish fires that can damage the structure of your home. SERVPRO of Inglewood focuses on both fire and water damage restoration. In fact, it’s what we do; SERVPRO has been helping customers like you for 60 + years. We have the specialized equipment, specific training, and certifications that allow us to restore your home and make it “Like it never even happened." Choose SERVPRO of Inglewood, a local company that specializes in fire damage restoration.
3 Ways to Identify Mold in Your Inglewood Home
If you notice any of these signs in your home, please do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Inglewood today – (424) 223-4153
While we all hope that mold will never be found in our homes, if you don’t know what signs you are looking for, you may not be able to identify the problem until damage is extremely severe. Mold could be right under your nose without your knowledge, as mold can hide under carpeting or behind your drywall. Here are some signs that can help you identify if mold is in your home:
Musty, Pungent Smell
Even if mold is not visible, it doesn’t mean it isn’t lurking in your home. If you notice an unpleasant smell while entering a room in your home, be sure to thoroughly check the area. You can even go the extra mile and hire an industrial hygienist, who can perform several different mold tests that can identify if you have mold or not.
Visible Dark Rings & Spots
The appearance of dark rings or spots on drywall or sheetrock in your home is an early sign for the presence of mold.
Visible Growth/Odd Coloring
Despite the most widely known “black mold,” mold can actually vary in its range of colors. If there is mold present in your home, you may notice the appearance of dark, furry growths that can vary in color from orange, brown, green, and even white.
Mold Remediation vs. Mold Removal: What’s the Difference?
Before any mold remediation starts, first any sources of water or moisture should be addressed. If not, then the mold may return.
To understand the difference between mold removal and mold remediation, it’s important to know how mold grows and begins. Consider the following facts:
- Mold is a type of fungus that can begin growing in as little as 48 hours.
- Mold is present everywhere (both indoors and outdoors).
- Because mold spores are microscopic and carry in the air and thrive on moisture, they easily travel and can grow into colonies with any amount of water present. They could enter your home through AC/ heating systems, windows and doors, as well as people and pets, and may produce allergens that could eventually have other health effects.
Since mold spores exist naturally everywhere and are microscopic, it is virtually impossible to remove all mold from a home or commercial business. Although some may advertise that they offer “mold removal,” this is an impossible guarantee to uphold. Here at SERVPRO, we operate a qualified restoration company that understands the science behind mold growth. Mold remediation focuses on getting mold levels back to their natural levels, not to fallaciously guarantee to remove all mold. Our professionals have the training and expertise to remediate the mold in your home or commercial business. Although every mold damage scenario is different and our solution responses may vary, our remediation will uniquely cater to your situation while still following a general helpful process of mold remediation.
Don’t Forget to Change Your Smoke Alarm Batteries!
When prioritizing safety in your home, smoke alarms are an extremely important device. Therefore, always ensure they are charged and working properly!
Smoke alarms are meant to keep you and your families safe. A lot of times, however, smoke alarms are often forgotten about, as they are usually out of sight. Even the highest quality alarms cannot be effective with dead batteries. This is why replacing the batteries inside the smoke alarms in your home is extremely important. Here's a checklist with steps that you should take to ensure that your home is safe:
- Test each smoke alarm in your home monthly.
- Change the batteries in all of your alarms at least twice a year. Helpful Tip! Many people find it helpful to change their smoke alarm batteries on Daylight Savings days.
- Create, update, and continuously review a fire evacuation plan for your family, making changes and adjustments accordingly.
- Have fire extinguishers and other safety products on hand in your home as needed
These steps can go a long way toward keeping your family safe in the event of a fire. Once you've taken these steps to ensure your family is safe, water and fire damage cleanup and repair professionals at SERVPRO of Inglewood can help you get back into your Inglewood, CA, home.
Fire Damage and Your Home: How SERVPRO Inglewood Can Help
SERVPRO of Inglewood knows how devastating fires can be: they can leave your house unsafe and unlivable. Call us today for help in fire restoration.
Fire damage affects the structure or your house and belongings. Here at SERVPRO, we understand that your family’s keepsakes, furniture, and belongings all contribute to what transforms a house to a home. Fire damage, including smoke and even soot, can quickly threaten your family’s belongings. That’s why we specialize in restoring contents damaged by fire, water, and mold. Our SERVPRO professionals have the necessary expertise to help you preserve the irreplaceable keepsakes, and save money by salvaging what items can be restored to their pre-fire states.
We use any of the following methods for cleaning your home: dry or wet cleaning, foam cleaning, abrasive cleaning, and immersion cleaning. What’s more, if your home requires more intensive restoration and cleaning, our SERVPRO professionals can additionally help plan and conduct an efficiently organized move-out, and later move-in of the home. This can allow for additional protection from damage and a quicker remodel of the home. Our services are subjective to what your insurance coverage is.
Additionally, SERVPRO can restore your electronics damaged in a fire, as they pose serious hazards from acid containing smoke residues and corrosion. Electronics should be inspected and cleaned only by a qualified technician. Please Do Not attempt to operate any electrical device subject to fire damage.
Lastly, SERVPRO is here to help with our Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS) to ease your confusion and overwhelming worries during the recovery process. The CCIS will help in detailing an accurate list of all your belongings, room by room, with photo documentation where possible.
Call SERVPRO of Inglewood to help you restore your home today!
Planning Ahead: Preparing for Pipe Bursts in Your Home
SERVPRO of Inglewood is available 24 hours a day for any unexpected pipe bursts or any other water damage emergencies in your home.
About one in every fifty homes experience some form of water damage each year in the United States. Everyone hopes that they will never have to encounter a pipe bursting in their household. Most that do experience a burst pipe in their homes have no idea where to begin in order to resolve the problem and assess damage. A broken pipe can leak high volumes of water into your home and leave you with extensive water damage in an instant. Here’s how you can learn to prepare for a future pipe burst in order to reduce damage in your home:
- Immediately shut off water main: It is important to shut off the water as quickly as possible to prevent water from continuing to soak the area, as long as it is safe to do so.
- Then, shut off electricity: Water and electricity are not compatible. Shutting off electricity will prevent potential safety hazards and prevent any water from coming into contact with running electricity.
- Contact a restoration company: It is important to decide on a restoration company before any damage occurs. That way, you can call as soon as possible in order to act quickly. SERVPRO of Inglewood are available 24/7.
- Document the damages: Documenting damages is helpful if you are able to file a claim through your insurance. Writing down what is damaged as well as taking pictures will ensure that no item or place is forgotten about during restoration.
- Contact insurance company: Every insurance policy is different. We suggest contacting your insurance provider to determine if you are able to file a claim for water damage in your home.
- Open windows and doors (if possible): As you wait for your preferred restoration company to come help, opening windows and doors can begin the drying process in your home and can decrease the amount of water damage caused by the burst pipe.
Everything You Should Know About Thanksgiving Fire Safety
Wishes for a Very Happy and Safe Thanksgiving from our SERVPRO team!
Did you know that Thanksgiving is the #1 holiday for house fires? What’s more, cooking is the #1 most common cause of starting a fire in the home. Here are 5 safety tips to keep in mind for preventing fires in your home this Thanksgiving:
1. Ensure your smoke alarms work. You can check them by pressing the “test” button.
2. Never leave home while your turkey is cooking! Always make sure that all stove top burners and ovens are off before leaving your home to visit friends and family. If you’re hosting, make sure someone is always watching the stove top burners while cooking.
3. Maintain a clean cooking space to prevent any unintentional mishaps.
4. Keep children at least 3 feet away from the stove at all times
5. Never leave any candles burning while unattended. Candles are responsible for over 15,000 house fires every year.
The top causes of home fires during Thanksgiving typically include unattended cooking equipment, accidentally leaving equipment on, or keeping flammable cooking materials (such as oven mitts) too close to a heat source. Also, remember to always be cautious while using a turkey fryer this Turkey Day.
Stay safe during this Thanksgiving season and remember, call SERVPRO of Inglewood if any problems arise! (424) 223-4153
Types of Water Damage Found in Your Home
Don't let this be your reality!
Floods are often categorized into three separate groups, depending on the contents found within the water. All floods have the capability to create water damage within your homes. However, there are some flood types that are considered to be more harmful than others, and you should definitely look out of them. Here are the descriptions for the three types of flooding that can occur in your home:
- Category 1: Clean Water Floods — The absence of contaminants in a flood characterizes it as a Category 1 flood, as hinted in the title. Leaking pipes or burst supply lines more often than not cause these kinds of floods. Although seemingly insignificant compared to other categories, these floods have potential to transform into other category floods if they come into contact with any other contaminants
- Category 2: Gray Water Floods — Often gray water floods occur when household appliances-- like a washing machine, dishwasher or sink-- overflow or break and flood the home with contaminated water. Although dangerous, because category 2 floods do not contain significant amounts of contamination, they aren’t considered a biohazard. Nevertheless, they can quickly evolve into a Category 3 flood if they aren’t treated in a timely manner.
- Category 3: Black Water Floods — This is the most dangerous type of flooding that can be found in your home. These types of floods have the presence of dangerous biohazards such as fecal matter, sewage, or other harmful chemicals. These floods are often caused by problems with toilets, sewage bursts, and other similar disasters all contributing to massive water damage in your home. Because this is the most dangerous type of flood, it is best to contact professional assistance in order to receive proper treatment immediately. If left untreated, a home can face severe damage that will continue to get worse. SERVPRO of Inglewood is always happy to help you with any black water flooding problems that may occur in your home.
No matter the type of flood - it is imperative that a restoration company such as SERVPRO of Inglewood is called in as soon as possible.
Tips for Preventing Water Damage this Holiday Season!
From our SERVPRO of Inglewood family to yours!
While some may think that you’re more likely to experience a fire in your home during the holiday season, in actuality there are many potential water damage threats that can occur. Here are some tips and prevention strategies to help ensure your holidays run smoothly (at least on our end!):
Watering your Christmas tree — Only a small amount of water is actually necessary to allow for the growth of mold. This means that a leak while watering your Christmas tree could actually be the main cause for water damage in your home during the holidays. So, how can you tell if your Christmas tree is the ‘root’ of the problem? If, after the first few days, the water pan for your tree is always empty and needs to constantly be refilled, it is possible there is a leak. Christmas trees do not need to be watered every day, and if you find yourself needing to do so, you should examine the areas around and underneath your tree for dampness and potential water damage.
Fire from your Christmas tree — Although your first reaction to a lit and smoky Christmas tree is probably understandably to ‘get water!’ you should be conscious of the risks in using it to put a fire out. Great amounts of water can invite mold into your home as the water creeps into your floors and walls. Instead, have a readily available fire extinguisher in your home to put out those festive fires.
Visiting Family and Friends — Many people travel during the holiday season! While visiting family and friends during the holidays, make sure to turn off your water if you’re going to be away from home for an extended period of time. Leaks from pipes are always possible, and if no one is home to notice during the holidays, water damage may occur.
Family Gatherings at Home — When gathering family around your home for the holidays, you’re not all just sharing food and conversation-- you’re also sharing the bathroom. With increased uses, flushes, and toilet paper, your plumbing may face some serious issues with backed up toilets or even clogged drains. Water damage could be a consequence of the variety of issues you may face this holiday season. These issues can become very messy very quickly, not to mention unsanitary, so be sure to address possible problems immediately to ensure you and your family are not risking any health problems.
Have a happy holiday from the team here at SERVPRO of Inglewood.
Tips for Immediate Action when Confronting Water Damage
Call today! (424) 223-4153
Water Damage is one of the most serious yet common occurrences people have to deal with. Damages can topple one another quickly, threatening your safety and property value if not handled appropriately. Here are important steps to follow when addressing water damage:
- Contact SERVPRO of Inglewood immediately to begin mitigation as soon as possible in order to prevent increased damage. Additionally, contact your insurance company to file a claim for water damage.
- Ensure no water is present near any electrical outlets, appliances, lamps, etc. If affected, immediately shut off any source of electricity such as electrical boxes, circuit breakers, and meter panels as to prevent any further damage or harm.
- Protect any valuable items that may be at risk for damage, such as any laptops, televisions, photographs, important documents, or artwork by moving them to a safe and dry place. Remove any loose items from tables or floors that may be at risk for damage.
- If possible, begin drying any items that are salvageable with fans and/or dehumidifiers. Hang rugs and other floor items to dry. This will all help diminish the growth of mold and mildew.
- Lastly turn off the main line to the house to prevent any further water damage.
When prompt action is necessary, SERVPRO of Inglewood is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies. Even delaying just a few hours can dramatically increase the probability of detrimental damage.